Monday, August 24, 2009

Doing the Dishes

Is there anything more satisfying than doing the dishes after a great meal? Okay, I know there are many things more satisfying. Buying a pair of Prada shoes or Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses or sex. But tonight I cleaned the dishes and found myself singing the entire time.

I enjoyed a great meal with Michael and Katrin tonight. Katrin made the meal, Michael bought the wine, and I bought the red velvet cake.

We sat on the floor around the coffee table and ate and laughed and chatted as we watched Sex and the City: The Movie for God knows which time. Let's just say that I got the "I'm gonna punch you in your face" look from Michael as I quoted the dialogue.

Of course we had to stop the movie at 9pm and watch our latest addiction: True Blood. It's difficult to wait for that fix every 7 days. I feel like an addict on "V" withdrawal by the time Sunday roles around again.

I wanted to do something more than just bring the cake. After all, Katrin paid for the food and cooked it, Michael bought wine and hosted at his apartment, and I brought cake. I decided I would do the dishes. I have often found joy in doing the dishes. It's a small task that, once completed, gives me a sense of accomplishment. Michael really wanted to do the dishes, but I insisted that he let me do them. It wasn't something that I had to do, it was something that I wanted to do. I wanted to give back to my friends. I found myself singing the entire time which means I was happy. It was like the seven dwarfs whistling while they worked. It was completing the day.

It's nice to have friends to dine with and dishes to clean afterward. I am truly blessed and grateful for it.

Work, food, wine, good friends, laughter, clean up. Big smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment