Thursday, August 27, 2009

Giving Back

Today was a day for giving back.

I have a wonderful boss. He always does right by me. He gives me days off that I need. He offers me vacations when everyone else but me has had one. He lets me leave early. He keeps me employed when others would lay me off. He listens to my problems and has very helpful insight and advice. He tells me that he wants me to go home for Christmas because he sees how much I miss my family. He's a fantastic boss.

He hasn't been feeling well for the past few days. Stomach issues. He was part of the Coney Island excursion yesterday. He was nowhere to be found when I got to Coney Island. I was the only person with his phone number so I called him. Voice mail. I left a message. I tried again about half an hour later. Voice mail. Finally he sent me a text saying that he wasn't feeling well and was heading home.

I was sad for him and for the rest of us. He is a very jovial man and can certainly keep the laughter rolling.

This morning when I woke up he was the first person on my mind. I sent him a text asking him if he would like me to go in early. I was on shift for 3pm and he was on shift for 12:30pm. He said that I was sweet and he would appreciate it. He said that he would come in later and that I could leave early. I told him there was no reason for me to leave early and that he should concentrate on resting and feeling better.

When I arrived at work and explained the situation to my coworker, he called our boss and suggested that he just stay home and rest. The two of us could easily handle the day. He was very appreciative.

It isn't often that I have a chance to give back to him in such a way. I hate that he isn't feeling well, but I'm happy to have been available to work and give him some time to recover.

It's a good feeling when you can help those who so often help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment