Friday, October 23, 2009

For Now



Avenue Q opened at New World Stages Wednesday night. What an exciting day. This little show that could started at the Vineyard Theatre 6 years ago. It played a successful run of a few weeks and the producers that put seed money into the show eyed a transfer to Broadway. The transfer happened and the show received rave reviews. When it came time for Tony Award nominations, the show racked up 6 nominations. It was the darling of the 2003-2004 season. On Tony Award night Avenue Q won 3 Tony Awards beating Wicked for the coveted Best Musical Tony Award.

Flash forward six years to the ending of the show's successful run on Broadway. The producers announced that the show was only ending it's Broadway run and would continue anew at New World Stages, the Off-Broadway venue where I work, starting October 9.

The show never skipped a beat. It's a known property with a recognizable name. Ticket sales took off right away. It was very exciting for us. It was busy with money coming in to the facility when it was much needed.

The opening night performance, October 21, went smoothly. There is always a lot of energy surrounding an opening night. It's usually an invited performance and there are usually stars involved. For this opening the stars were those of Broadway. Sutton Foster was there. Julia Murney, Stephanie J. Block. The cast of [title of show]. It's always so much fun. Some of the people I've met before so it was a reconnection and chance to say hello. For others it was a first time meeting. Being in the box office is the perfect opportunity to say hello when I'm giving out the tickets. Just the other day I met Dean Pitchford, lyricist of the song Fame, screenwriter of Footloose, and lyricist of the musical Carrie. That was quite exciting for me.

The post performance party was held at Glass House Tavern, a theatre district bar and restaurant on 47th Street. I love a good opening night party. Free hors d'oeuvres and an open bar. I enjoyed the Cabernet Savignon. Several glasses actually. I mingled with people from work and people who formerly worked at New World Stages. As is often the case, I was one of the last people to leave. I must say that I haven't figured out how to make an exit while the party is still going strong. I guess I'm afraid I'm going to miss something. I missed nothing and wouldn't have missed anything. Hindsight 20/20.

There is a song in Avenue Q called For Now. It's about things in our lives that aren't forever, only for now. I've been feeling very unsettled lately. I know that I'm the only roadblock standing in my way. I have to find a way to make the sweetest, best, most refreshing lemonade possible out of the lemons that I'm finding in my life right now. For Now. If the only thing constant is change, then none of the things I'm calling problems, the lemons, will last for long. There will be a change. I have to make the change. I have to take the leap. I have to be the change that I want to see in my life.

I was in a very sad, hater frame of mind today. Hating my journey right now. I am so afraid to make changes in my life. The changes that I need to make sometimes seem overwhelming. I know it's one step and one day at a time. I can't fix everything at once.

Today I was talking to God like he was in my apartment. I was asking why after all the asking for help I've been doing do I still have the issues. Why don't they get resolved. Why can't I fix them. Why are "you" not helping me? Why indeed! I'm trying to keep my eyes open to see and ears open to hear the signs that might be presented to me so that I can get my life on the road to happiness.

It's only For Now

No comments:

Post a Comment