Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Nashadena Weekend ~ Back To Reality

Day 4 - 10/19/09

I hate the return travel day. The anticipation of the flight as the minutes tick away toward the departure time. Everything that I had been excited about has come to its end. The weekend was fantastic. It was everything any of us could have hoped for. Now it's time to return home. Get back to the life that is mine in NYC.

Having the room to spread out in Casey and Whit's two bedroom, two-and-a-half bath, two level apartment makes returning home to my studio a little less than desirable. The saving grace: it's my studio. I don't have to wonder if my roommate took care of things while I was gone. It was in the same shape in which I left it.

Yesterday, we sent Leah and April on their way. I was still in Nashville with Casey and Whit. Today was my day to be sent home. The end of a moment so filled with joy and happiness that it's the memories of those moments, and the photos, that eased the pain of departure.

Let's go back to the beginning of my day. I woke on the sofa after Whit had gone to school and Casey had gone to work. I made a small pot of coffee and covered myself with four blankets as I sat on the chaise and watched Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice from last Thursday. I had a full day last Thursday that started with work at noon and ended with bowling until 1:30 am. A short nap and two hours later I was heading to the subway to start my journey to the airport. So there was no opportunity to watch any of Thursday night television. Having a quiet moment, or couple of hours in this case, was just what I needed today.

Casey and her boyfriend, Matt, came home for lunch. Whit joined us shortly thereafter. We baked a pizza and watched multiple episodes of Amazing Wedding Cakes. Mindless television, perfect for taking my mind off the fact that I was leaving today.

I have to admit that flying does make me nervous. Sitting in the airport waiting to board the flight home always aggravates those nerves. The pit of my stomach is usually a big knot. Pair the nerves with the sadness of leaving and you've got me sitting in the Nashville airport. At least two of us found ourselves wondering this weekend how life would be if we all lived closer together. Would these moments lose their power? I don't know the answer. It wouldn't always be an event, but we enjoy each others company. We would probably start to take each other for granted. Who knows. Right now that is a question that can't be answered as we don't all live close together.

Not long into my wait my Blackberry began to vibrate. Facebook message from Casey. It was a quote from Modern Family. This was just what I needed to lift my spirits. It went back and forth three more times. We used these quotes all weekend. We all have a similar sense of humor.

The flight was scheduled to be 2 hours and 3 minutes from take off to landing. We landed at 9:10pm, 30 minutes earlier than I thought we were supposed to land. I was excitedly wrong about the time. I managed to finish my Vanity Fair by reading the last two articles I had any interest in: Marc Dreier and Norman Rockwell. An intersting contrast as one is a criminal having stolen millions from hedge funds and the other a beloved artist. Of course I had to return to the life of Mrs. Julia Child. She is so funny. I had a couple of shake-the-seat laughing moments thanks to her as we made our descent into JFK.

I am so grateful that I have a family that I care enough about to want to spend time with them and a boss gracious enough to allow me the days to do so. This weekend was everything I imagined it would be. The only thing it wasn't was longer.

Casablanca!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Michael, I so enjoyed reading your blog about the weekend. I'm sooooooooooooo glad you guys had a great time. Love, Mom

Post a Comment