Friday, September 18, 2009

Just A Friday



Coffee with French Vanilla creamer is such a lovely way to start the day. I do it the same way every day. Put the kettle on to boil. Put two level tablespoons of coffee in the french press. Wait for the steam scream. This morning I watched yesterday's The Young and the Restless while I waited. After the whistle blew I poured the water into the press, stirred, set the timer on the microwave for four minutes and waited. The wait is always with anticipation of the flavor of the the coffee/cream combination hitting my tongue. It's a simple pleasure to have the time or take the time to enjoy coffee in the morning. It starts my day off in the right direction when I'm able to just sit and enjoy it with a good book, magazine article, or television program. Relaxing moments at the start of the day.

I was in desperate need of clean clothes today. Me and a washing machine needed to get acquainted. I've really been trying to come to terms with the expense of dropping my laundry off versus carting it across town to do it myself. Today I decided that I would fill a duffel bag full of dirty clothes and take it across town, as I was going to the gym anyway, and then launder my own clothes post workout. I washed a load of jeans (6 pairs) and a load of other things. Everything I washed today I tend to hang dry. Clothes are too expensive for me and shrinkage to get along. However, I decided to dry everything on low today. Even with two cycles for the jeans the whole thing cost $9 compared to the $12 of the drop off. I'm sure the weight of the jeans would have made that wash more than $12. As my job and my gym are on the west side, taking my laundry with me seems like a viable, money saving option.

After returning home and eating a little lunch, I decided not to let the outside go to waste. I went to a small, outdoor sitting area across the street from my apartment. It seemed the perfect place to enjoy the Fall day alternating the new issue of Entertainment Weekly and My Life In France.

Then there's Rock Of Ages (rockofagesmusical.com). For those of you who didn't see all the gushing and posting I did about this show on facebook let me just give you a heads up. The show is set in the late 80's and uses mostly "hair" band rock songs from the 80's to tell the story. As I was in high school from '85-'89, most of this music holds a special place in my heart. The nostalgia factor is high. I am transported right back to Carlisle County High School when I hear the music. For those of you who don't know, ROA started out at New World Stages where I work and played for a few months before moving to Broadway. It has become quite the hit. It's always packed and people are always having a good time. I saw it more times than I will tell you when it was at NWS and I've seen it twice now on Broadway. Tonight was that second time. There is a new lead actress and she was performing the show for the first time tonight. I know this actress from a past show and was very excited to see her. What I wasn't prepared for was how good she would be in the role. I was blown away. I had such an amazing experience. I couldn't stop talking about the show. I can't imagine anyone seeing ROA and leaving in a bad mood. It's one of the most pure fun, exciting, exhilarating, cleverly written, funny experiences of live theatre I've ever seen. It may be the most fun to be had on Broadway right now. If you're here or coming for a visit you should definitely check it out.

A beautiful day that ended with clean clothes and a night of theatre filled with 80's rock can't get much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment