Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Taking Flight at Flatiron Lounge



Thanks to the suggestion of my friend Michael, I discovered a new lounge tonight. It's called Flatiron Lounge (www.flatironlounge.com). Located in the Flatiron District, it's just a little bit of fabulous with dim lights and red velvet chairs.

The best description I could give you of the lounge is already provided by the owners on their website. As soon as I read it I knew this was a place I needed to visit. I've had half-hearted dreams for a short while now of opening a small, jazz infused, prohibition era speakeasy. Anytime I hear of a bar that sounds like what I have in mind I want to go.

The Flatiron Lounge had me from the moment my friend Jonathan and I stood in front of the door. I'm a sucker for Art Deco and there is an Art Deco era lady etched in the door. Her image is in several places throughout the Lounge. The music is the tinny sound of jazz. Exactly what you think music sounded like in that era. The lights are set to dim and the chairs and banquets are dark and velvet. It was difficult to see the color with the lights so dim, but I do believe that one wall was covered in blue pieces of glass. Even if it wasn't blue, it was gorgeous.

I really wanted a glass of wine. The whole premise of the evening was to have wine and listen to jazz. However, this location had many interesting cocktails and cocktail Flights. Their Flights are three mini martinis with a common flavor theme. I've only heard of Flights connected to wine. I've had a Pinot Noir Flight before. Three different Pinot Noirs. A great comparison of flavor. Tonight's Flight was so different. The common factor was Gin. I can't remember the last time I had Gin. I decided, what the hell, I'm in a new place, why not try something different. I can't remember what our "Flight attendant" said was in my cocktails. I know that one of them was light green and had a little cherry juice in it. I know that one of them had mottled strawberries, egg whites, and cream in it. I know that all three were interesting and delicious.

I love being in a place that transports me to a different time. This was a different feeling than Raines Law Room, which really has an underground, speakeasy feel to it, but it was not a run-of-the-mill bar. I know it has to do with the music and the ambiance. Those are the things I loved most about it.

It's definitely going to be a location I add to my list of places to become a frequent guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment