Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day in Boston




The day wouldn't start out right if there weren't pancakes involved. There is a peaceful, easy feeling, to quote from The Eagles, sitting in Neal and Stephen's living room while Neal makes pancakes on the griddle and Stephen fries bacon. I'm usually enjoying a cup of coffee and chiming in on the conversation. There's usually a New York Times or a Vanity Fair being perused. This morning we enjoyed our pancakes and bacon while watching yesterday's episode of CBS Sunday morning. I never paid any attention to this news program until I started coming to Boston 6 years ago. Neal records it every week and I've spent many a Sunday on his sofa watching it in my pj's. Now I too record the program.

It was a truly gorgeous day here in Boston. High's in the upper 60's. We set out for the Esplanade. The Esplanade in Boston runs along the Charles River. The river was scattered with sail boats and the walkway was full of cyclists, joggers, and people strolling with and without dogs. There were people sitting on top of blankets unfolded on the grass. There were sunbathers sitting out on floating docks in a last ditch effort to soak up the last rays of summer sun. The sky was a beautiful blue and the sun was shining bright. There was a nice breeze blowing that kept the day cool and comfortable.

Walking along the Esplanade was such a lovely way to spend the early afternoon. There are so many places in NYC where the same thing is possible. I could walk around Central Park or along the Hudson River just to name two. I hardly ever do this. Taking the time to just get out and enjoy the beauty of nature was so relaxing. Imagine how relaxing it would be if I wasn't four hours from home, but just across town enjoying it where I live. I've got to encourage myself to enjoy my own City's outdoor spaces.

I recently found out that Neal enjoys Sticky Toffee Pudding. It's a British pudding that he had while in Britain. I learned that the restaurant Stephanie's on Newberry is one place here in Boston that he has enjoyed it. Having just gone to Tea & Sympathy and enjoyed the Treacle Pudding, I was all about finding a place to have a little Sticky Toffee Pudding today. With Google put work, the first place we went was Croma on Newberry Street. Turns out Croma has now become Pazzo and Pazzo doesn't serve Sticky Toffee Pudding. According to the hostess they have a great Creme Brulee, but that's not what I'm looking for.

We continue to wonder around town. We headed toward Borders. This is very dangerous for me. I have a stack of books in my "to read" pile that comes up to my knees. I do not need another book. While crossing the street a very cute guy and I smiled at each other. We did the three second turn. Basically, you turn to look and see if the other person has turned and looked. He did. Obviously I did too. We both turned again, and again, and then he stopped on the sidewalk and waited to see if I was going to return and talk to him. Fear and my lack of living in Boston prevented that from happening. Mostly fear though which led to regret. The new me reverted to old tendencies. There was nothing to be lost from going over and introducing myself to him. I could have made a new friend. Boston and New York are a mere four hours apart. I will never know. I let an opportunity pass me by yet again. The fact that someone found me attractive enough to stop on the street, however made me happy and excited. So on to Borders. I go to the magazines because I don't need another book. I end up buying another book. Stephen told me of a friend of his who loved and recommended My Life In France by Julia Child. I loved Julie & Julia so it seemed natural that I would buy this book. After reading the first paragraph I knew I wanted it and would look forward to the read.

The quest for the Sticky Toffee Pudding proved to be futile. The next restaurant we went to, Troquet, was closed for Labor Day. I guess the Sticky Toffee Pudding will have to be something saved for another trip to Boston.

The day turned to night after walking around Boston for the better part of seven hours. Sticky Pudding is left to the imagination and a new book is on the verge of being read. Now back to my glass of J. Lohr Paso Robles.

No comments:

Post a Comment