Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Degas


Today was simply about finding joy.

Before I left for work I decided it was time to hang my Degas reproduction over the sofa. The print entitled La Classe de Danse (The Dance Class) is very special to me. It was a gift my best friend Neal. Just a little something he picked up for me after a museum visit. I've had it for more than a decade.

On the way home from work I stopped to purchase cleaning supplies. Yes, I found joy in purchasing cleaning supplies. The reason: they are my cleaning supplies. I share them with no one. They are the first cleaning supplies purchased for my first space of my own in NYC.

I purchased wine tonight to fill my wine rack. Cabernets and Pinots. New wines never tried. I opened a bottle to have with dinner and sat on my sofa enjoying the time that was my own.

If you don't have Showtime, rent or purchase Nurse Jackie when it comes out on DVD. Some of the best laughs I've had of late are courtesy of Merritt Wever and Eve Best.

As I lay in my bed and gaze at the beautiful print of a teacher instructing his ballerinas, I smile at the joy I received today by simply hanging the print, buying the supplies, drinking the wine, and laughing at a really good performance. It doesn't take much most of the time to just be happy and fulfilled.

All I had to do was choose, and I chose happiness!

1 comment:

Tamra said...

degas is actually my favorite artist, when i was younger the wall paper in my room was actually a collage made from his different ballerinas :D

and i am glad you have found your simple joys :D

Post a Comment