Saturday, August 29, 2009

Tea & Vogue




Thanks to my friend Patrick I discovered a little coffee house I'd never heard of before. He posted a link on facebook today for 71 Irving Place Coffee and Tea Bar (irvingfarm.com) and I had just started my visit to the website when my friend Stephen called to see what I was doing.

Stephen is married to my best friend Neal. They live in Boston and they are in the City this weekend. Stephen came up yesterday and Neal didn't arrive until tonight. So Stephen and I had some time to hang out and catch up. I hadn't seen Stephen since April so we had a lot to talk about. I suggested we go to 71 Irving Place. I like coffee and we both like tea. He was game so the adventure to a new place began.

Those of you who know the area of Union Square know that it's gorgeous as you get over in the Irving Place area. This coffee bar was located at 18th. Gorgeous. It was exactly what you would expect from a coffee bar - not Starbucks. Small round tables, cafe chairs, almost every seat taken with people reading or working on their computer or meeting up with friends. It was the perfect spot to grab a bite to eat and catch up on the 4 months of our lives since we last saw each other.

I enjoyed the moments while sipping green tea and listening to how Stephen spent his summer in both Texas and Seattle.

It was raining when we left the coffee bar. I should say it was sprinkling. The day couldn't seem to decide if it wanted to rain or sprinkle. Pick one and stick with it I say. I couldn't figure out whether to use my umbrella or not. Neither of us wanted to walk around in the I-can't-make-up-my-mind rain/sprinkle so we decided to check out the movie times at the Union Square 14. With only 20 minutes to wait Inglourious Basterds got our money.

As this entry is not really about Inglourious Basterds, let's just say I enjoyed the film for the most part, but it was just a stop along the way.

The film I really wanted to see today was The September Issue (theseptemberissue.com). You can learn all about it by visiting the website, but here's a brief synopsis. It's about putting together the Fall Fashion Issue of Vogue. The documentary was filmed while the 2007 September issue was being put together. The Fall Fashion Issue is the biggest issue of the year. Biggest in terms of thick. It's currently available so check it out next time you're in the grocery store or anywhere magazines are sold and see what I mean. It's huge. And heavy. I should know I'm carrying around the current September issue in my bag. Chiropractor anyone??

The documentary is currently only playing in NYC. It opened today. We didn't buy tickets in advance. Big mistake. Who knew that the 9:30 showing would be sold out. Well, honestly, we should have. I mean it was showing in Chelsea and it is Vogue and Anna Wintour. We bought tickets for 10:45. By 10:11 it was sold out too. The gay boys and fashionistas love them some Vogue and Anna Wintour.

I must say I was thoroughly entertained. Anna Wintour makes or breaks fashion. Such power! If you liked The Devil Wears Prada, this is the real deal. Meryl Streep's character was loosely based on Anna Wintour.

I've always had a flair for fashion. Always a clothes whore. Living in New York it's fantastic to see the fashion walking down the street. On 57th Street you can window shop at Prada, Chanel, and Lacroix. Turn on to 5th Avenue and you can window shop at Versace, Tiffany & Co., Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Saks, and Bergdorf's. The list goes on. Those are the ones I know off the top of my head. It all makes me want to spend money. Money that should be in savings. Alas, savings wins most of the time, but not all of the time.

After the coffee/tea bar, the rain, the Basterds, and some more rain, The September Issue was like being wrapped in a cashmere throw. Familiar, comfortable, and cozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment